As I was whipping up the sweet sauce on Wednesday for a batch of home-made Donairs (which were followed by Donair pizzas the next night, yum!), I accidentally opened a can of 'sweetened condensed milk' instead of 'evaporated milk'. Oops. Luckily, I noticed before I had added the garlic powder!
Ew, garlic powder and sweetened condensed milk? I just grossed myself out.
So I set aside the sweetened condensed milk, determined to find a use for it so that it didn't go to waste. After dinner was done I searched around online and saw that there were a ton of super simple bar recipes that involved it.
I realized that many of the recipes involved simply pouring the sweetened condensed milk over a base or crust and then baking it all together. I took a quick inventory of my pantry, and these were born! I am sure that there are very similar recipes out there, but I managed to create this as I went so I'm pretty proud of them. I decided to dye the condensed milk with some orange gel food colouring for Halloween, and the colour came out great!
This makes enough to fill a 9 x 13" pan. These are quite sweet, so you can get a lot of tasty little squares out of this recipe!
Coconut Chocolate Halloween Squares
- 1 1/2 cups oreo crumbs
- 1/2 cup melted margarine
- 2 1/2 cups shredded coconut
- 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
- orange gel food colouring (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup white chocolate chips
- Spray a 9 x 13" pan with cooking spray and pre-heat the oven to 350 F
- Mix together the oreo crumbs and the melted butter. Press the oreo crumb base firmly into the prepared pan
- Sprinkle the coconut evenly over the oreo layer
- Add some orange food colouring to the condensed milk and mix well
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk over the coconut, and carefully spread it out evenly
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for about 25 minutes, or until the edges are browned
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack
- Once the pan has been removed from the oven, melt the chocolate chips by microwaving at 30 second intervals, stirring between each, until smooth
- Pour the melted semi-sweet chocolate over the still-warm coconut layer, and spread evenly
- Place the white chocolate chips in a sandwich bag, and microwave at 30 second intervals, mixing the chocolate together in the bag between each interval
- When the white chocolate is melted, snip off a corner of the bag and drizzle it randomly all over the chocolate
- If you wish, you can drag a toothpick through the chocolate to give it more of a 'swirly' effect. (yes, that's a technical term. swirly)
- Sprinkle on your favourite Halloween sprinkles
- Let sit for 20 minutes, and then place in the refrigerator until chocolate has hardened
- Cut into squares, and Enjoy!