While Spring has decided to take it's sweet time arriving, we couldn't wait to get the BBQ warmed up and start making some of our favourite fair-weather foods. One thing we love to throw on the BBQ on a warm day are some juicy steaks!
I found this recipe on Marshalls Abroad and knew it would be a super quick and easy supper to throw together. Lilly isn't a huge fan of naps and when she finally does sleep she is a cat-napper. So any meal that I can get ready in 45 minutes or less (let's be honest, usually less) is pure gold in my books!
This was such a tasty meal! We had our salads with some fresh focaccia that I picked up on a walk and we had happy tummies that night.
This has already been requested again, so I know it will become a regular part of our supper arsenal. Also, it looks pretty impressive so it would be perfect for when you have guests over too.
The recipe below is enough is for 2 hungry people, and the original recipe can be found here from Marshalls Abroad.
Grilled Steak and Portobello Mushroom Salad
- 2 steaks
- 2 portobello mushrooms
- 4 cups of mixed greens
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup grated smoked gouda
- 1/2 cup croutons
- Balsamic vinaigrette
- Steak Marinade:
- pinch of garlic powder
- pinch of onion powder
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp worcester sauce
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Mix together the ingredients for the steak marinade in a shallow dish and add the steaks. Let marinate for 30 min or longer in the refrigerator
- Add the portobello mushrooms and 1/2 cup of balsamic vinaigrette into a ziploc bag and set aside with the steaks
- After they have marinated, grill both the steaks and the portobello mushrooms on the BBQ for at least 10 minutes (or until the steak is done how you like!). Baste the steak and the mushrooms at least once with some of the balsamic vinaigrette
- When ready to serve, place the mushrooms in the middle of each plate.
- Top the mushrooms with the mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, grated cheese, and croutons
- Slice the steak (after allowing it to rest for 5 - 10 minutes) and arrange each steak on top of the salads
- Drizzle with some balsamic vinaigrette and Enjoy!