In addition to the Chipotle Corn Salsa that I made when we got home, I also made this delicious Barbacoa Beef (also from skinnytaste.com) to go with it. This beef was amazing! So much flavour, and just the right amount of spice!
I added two chipotle chili peppers and my beef was quite spicy. If you aren't a huge fan of spice, I definitely recommend trying 1/2 a chipotle pepper, and then adding more to taste if need be.
This was a delicious meal! It was also super easy since the beef cooked wonderfully in the slow cooker.
The next night we layered the corn salsa, barbacoa beef, nachos, and sour cream up and enjoyed tasty taco salads.
- 1 1/2 lbs beef (eye of round or bottom round roast)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 medium onion
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 to 2 chipotles in adobo sauce
- 1/2 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tbsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- salt and papper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- Cut up the beef into cubes, and season with salt and pepper
- Heat up the oil in a frying pan on medium heat and add the beef. When the beef is brown on all sides (but not cooked through) place them in the slow cooker
- While the beef is browning, place the garlic, onion, lime juice, chipotle pepper(s), cumin, oregano, and ground cloves in a blender.
- Blend all spices until a chunky paste is produced
- Add the spice paste, water, and bay leaves to the slow cooker
- Cook on high for 4 - 6 hours (or on low for about 8 hours), or until the beef can be shredded with a fork
- When beef is cooked through, remove from head and place in a bowl.
- Shred the beef with two forks, and place in a frying pan
- Add some of the juices from the crock pot (enough to cover the bottom of the pan), and simmer for about 10 minutes (or until most liquid has evaporated). If needed, you can add more spices to taste at this point
- Enjoy in a wrap, alone, as part of a taco salad, etc!