This past New Year's Eve we had some friends over to celebrate with us. For dessert I made these Coconut Lime Cupcakes (from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World). These were fun to make, and the batter was dangerously delicious!
These are extremely coconut-y, so they are perfect for those coconut lovers out there. I enjoy coconut, but it isn't my first choice when it comes to deserts, and I enjoyed these a lot! An additional bonus? These are another fabulous vegan cupcake!
These would be perfect for a Hawaiian Luau or Mexican themed party! This recipe makes 12 cupcakes.
Coconut Lime Cupcakes
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup soy milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 1 tbsp lime zest
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup coconut (unsweetened)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line the muffin tin with paper liners
- Place the coconut oil in a small microwave safe bowl and microwave until completely melted, set aside
- In a second bowl mix together the melted coconut oil, sugar, coconut milk, soy milk, vanilla, coconut extract, and lime zest.
- In a third bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet, and milk until smooth
- Add the coconut, and mix until well distributed
- Fill cupcake liners and bake for 20 - 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into a cupcake
- Let cool completely before icing
- Note, these are delicious naked!
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 3 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (or the juice from 1 to 2 limes)
- 1 tsp lime zest
- Cream together the shortening and margarine until smooth
- Add the icing sugar about 1 cup at a time, beating well between each addition
- After all of the icing sugar is incorporated add the vanilla, lime juice, and lime zest
- Beat the icing for another few minutes until fluffy
To assemble the Coconut Lime Cupcakes