Even though we had only arrived home the night before, when I woke up Sunday morning I couldn't wait to hit the kitchen again. I missed it!
Since we had so little food in the house, I decided to make some muffins that we could enjoy as a snack and for breakfast throughout the week.
I love these muffins because they had an amazing lemony surprise in the middle! I found this stuff in the same section as the jams in my grocery store. It is delicious, and has an awesome texture that is similar to the lemon part of lemon meringue pie, so it is really easy to work with.
Does any one else see a silly face in this muffin?
This recipe is from Company's Coming Mostly Muffins, and it makes 12 tasty (and easy!) muffins.
Lemon Blueberry Muffins
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup blueberries (you can use fresh or frozen)
- 1 lemon, zested
- approx 1/2 cup lemon spread
- Preheat the oven to 375 F and line a muffin pan with cupcake liners (or generously grease the muffin pan)
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt
- In a second bowl, mix together the eggs, melted butter (or margarine), milk and lemon zest
- Make a well in the dry ingredients, and pour the wet ingredients into the well
- Add the blueberries, and mix until the batter is just moistened
- Fill each muffin cup half full, and then place 1 - 2 teaspoons of lemon spread onto the batter
- Cover up the lemon spread with the remaining batter
- Bake for about 20 to 24 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into a muffin
This is what we left behind Saturday morning:
And this is what we came home to Saturday night:
I think I'm ready to go back to Mexico now.