Another Monday and another amazing meat-centered salad inspired by How Sweet It Is! What can I say? That girl makes me think of flavourful summer meals so that is where I have been going lately when I need some inspiration!
This is another quick meal that you can whip up and have on the table in no time. We had this with some roasted veggies and garlic peppercorn bread to round out our meal (and clean out my fridge!).
In all honestly I do not usually like tomatoes, but for some reason when they are paired with fresh mozza, fresh basil, and some simple olive oil and balsamic vinegar I cannot get enough! I finished the caprese salad off the next day with some flatbread, so good.
This recipe is for 2 servings so it can easily be doubled (or tripled!) depending on your family size. I used the steak marinade that from the Grilled Steak and Portobello Mushroom Salad, but next time I am definitely trying the red wine marinade that was listed for this salad. How can you lose with red wine?
This super tasty recipe is originally from How Sweet It Is.
Grilled Steak with Caprese Salad
- 2 New York strip loin steaks
- Steak Marinade:
- pinch of garlic powder
- pinch of onion powder
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp worcester sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mozzarella
- 8 - 10 basil leaves, freshly chopped
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix together the marinade and place the marinade and the steaks in a ziploc bag. Let marinate for the afternoon or overnight in the fridge
- BBQ the steak until desired doneness (there is a great reference here for grilling times based on the thickness of your steak)
- While you are grilling the steak, or while it is resting, mix up the tomatoes, green onion, mozzarella, basil, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, garlic powder, and salt and pepper
- When ready to eat, place your steak on each plate and then top them with a generous serving of the caprese salad