Blog-checking lines: Steph from Stephfood was our Daring Cooks' July hostess. Steph challenged us to make homemade noodles without the help of a motorized pasta machine. She provided us with recipes for Spätzle and Fresh Egg Pasta as well as a few delicious sauces to pair our noodles with.
I decided to make the Spatzle because I had never had it before, and to be honest I had no idea what it was! I do plan on trying to make fettucini or ravioli too, if I have them ready before July 14 I will put them up in this post as well.
It turns out that Spatzle is incredibly easy to make! It requires simple ingredients, and comes together very quickly.
I decided to add dill and parsley to my spatzle and I really liked the flavour of the dill in them. I topped them with the Butter and Breadcrumb sauce that was provided and it was really tasty.
You can add any herbs or spices that you wish to jazz these up. I halved the recipe, but if you make the full recipe (listed below) it makes about 4 servings.
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp dill (I used dried dill)
- 1 tsp parsley flakes
- In a bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, dill, and parsely
- Add the flour about 1/2 cup at a time and mix until smooth after each addition. After the last of the flour is added the dough will become very thick and elastic
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil
- Dip a spoon in the hot water, and then scoop about half a spoonful of the dough
- Drop the dough into the boiling water, and repeat with the remaining dough (they will puff up a lot)
- Boil for 15 - 20 minutes. While the spatzles are boiling you can make the sauce
- Drain well before serving
Butter and Breadcrumbs Sauce