Happy Thanksgiving everyone!! (Canadian Thanksgiving that is)
I hope you are getting a chance to spend this long weekend with the people you love most :)
We have been (and will continue to be) super spoiled this weekend! Last night was Thanksgiving dinner with my husband's side of the family where we ate our faces off and had an awesome visit. And now tonight we have dinner with my side where there will be more massive amounts of turkey, stuffing, and family to enjoy all afternoon.
Food and family, what more could one ask for on a long weekend?
Here is a dessert that is perfect to enjoy after all of that turkey and gravy. A tasty pumpkin pie with a bit of a twist!
The recipe for this pie is from the special interest publication Fall Baking magazine from Better Homes and Gardens. As soon as I saw this pie on the cover I knew it would be the perfect pumpkin dessert to make to kick off the fall baking.
Pumpkin Swirl Pie
- 1 single pie crust (I used this recipe from joythebaker.com)
- 1 pkg (8 oz or 250 g) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 lightly beaten egg yolk
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 375 F and prepare your pie crust (whether it is store-bought, rolled, or a no-roll pie crust) in your pie plate
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese, egg yolk, honey, and vanilla until smooth. Set aside
- In a second large bowl, mix together the pumpkin puree, evaporated milk, eggs, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg
- Pour the pumpkin filling into the prepared pie plate
- Drop the cream cheese mixture on top of the pumpkin filling by the spoonful
- When all of the cream cheese mixture has been added, gently swirl with a knife
- Bake for 45 - 55 minutes, or until the pie has puffed up in the middle and a knife comes out clean when inserted near the centre
- Let the pie cool for about an hour on a cooling rack, and then chill for a minimum of two hours before serving (overnight is best)
- Serve with whipped cream, and Enjoy!