Here is a quick and easy dinner that can convince you that it is finally spring outside! This was so easy to throw together, and it made for an awesome lunch the next day too.
These remind me of the delicious meals we had in Mexico, oh how I miss the sun and sand!
I found this recipe on eatingwell.com, and it will definitely be made again in this house!
You can use any type of mild fish in this recipe. They recommend mahi-mahi or halibut, but all I usually have available in the grocery store at this time of year is tilapia or cod and those work great.
After you rub the fish with the spices, you can whip up the coleslaw, set the table, and the fish is already ready to cook!
This coleslaw is delicious on it's own too. The tangy flavour would go over really well at any summer BBQ
Fish Tacos with Lime Coleslaw
- 2 pieces of mild fish
- Spice rub for the fish:
- 4 tsp chili powder
- Juice of 1 lime (or 2 tbsp lime juice)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Lime Coleslaw
- 3 cups shredded cabbage (I used a bag of prepared coleslaw mix)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp sugar
- dash of salt
- pepper to taste
- Corn tortillas
- Combine all of the spices, lime juice, and olive oil in a small bowl.
- Generously rub the fish with the spice mixture and then let the fish sit for about 20 minutes
- Combine the mayo, sour cream, lime zest and juice, sugar, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
- Mix the dressing with the cabbage and place in the refrigerator until the fish is ready
- When ready to cook, head up a frying pan over medium-high heat, and when hot add the fish
- Cook for about 4-5 minutes per side, or until cooked through
- When cooked, remove fish from the frying pan and chop it into large pieces
- To serve, place some lime coleslaw in a corn tortilla and top with the tasty fish
- If you like, you can also top these with salsa, avocados, cilantro, etc