I received this recipe from one of my aunt's a few months ago. One bonus of this blog is that my family now sends me all sorts of fun recipes when they come across them if they think I would be interested, it's awesome!
These looked not only delicious, but are healthy too. They were really quick to make, and made for some wonderful and quick breakfasts on the way to work in the morning. The original recipe is from smuckers.ca, but I have listed the recipe with my modifications.
This recipe makes 12 muffins, but they will disappear in no time!
Raspberry Citrus Whole Wheat Muffins
- 2/3 cup raspberry orange juice
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam
- 1 cup raspberries (fresh or frozen)
- Preheat the oven to 400F and line a muffin tin with cupcake liners (or spray with baking spray)
- Mix the juice, zest, eggs, applesauce, sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl
- In a second bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, ground flax seeds, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet, and mix until just combined
- Fold in the raspberry jam and fresh (or frozen) raspberries
- Fill the muffin cups, and bake for 15 - 20 minutes (or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted)