I actually made this dessert a little while ago, and I am currently considering making them again as soon as I am done this post! These are awesome, they combine brownies, coconut, and more chocolate. yum!
This recipe is from the awesome Kristan at Confessions of a Cookbook Queen. She comes up with the most amazing and fun desserts. These are so unique; she suggested that this is the result of an almond joy and a brownie bite getting together, and the result is amazing!
These are so easy to put together and I think they make the cutest dessert. I liked mine best without the chocolate coating, but I know that most of my friends preferred them as they were originally intended to be eaten.
Maybe when I make them next (aka tonight, regardless of the fact that I already have a rhubarb cobbler cooling on my counter) I will try toasting the almonds, just to get a richer almond flavour when you bite into them... I will let you know if I do!
These little desserts are perfect for a potluck or party as the guests can just grab them and go. And then come back again!
Brownie Coconut Bites
- 1 box brownie mix (and whatever it requires)
- 4 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
- about 3 - 4 dozen almonds
- chocolate candy melts or chocolate chips
- Spray a mini muffin pan with baking spray, or generously grease it with butter, and preheat your oven as per the back of the brownie mix box
- Prepare the brownie batter, and fill each mini muffin cup about 1/2 full (I made 48 mini brownies, so two full mini muffin pans)
- Bake as per the brownie directions, and then let cool completely
- After the brownies have cooled, remove them from the pan and set them all right-side up on a baking sheet
- Mix together the coconut and condensed milk
- Roll approximately a tablespoon of the coconut mixture into a ball and press it on top of a brownie
- Repeat 47 times. Or if you are like me, repeat about 40 more times after taste testing multiple brownie bites (quality control, it's important)
- Press an almond on top of each ball of coconut
- Place the cookie sheet of brownie coconut bites in the freezer for 15 - 20 minutes
- While they are in the freezer, place the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave at 30 second intervals, stirring between each until the chocolate is smooth
- Dip the top of the brownie coconut bites into the melted chocolate and let them set