Last weekend we had attended a BBQ over at my best friend's place, and once again I was on dessert duty. I'm as surprised as you are. Really, I am. I guess they just know me so well!
I was told that one of the guests loved 'gooey chocolatey desserts', and I knew other guests loved desserts with fresh berries and whipped cream in the summer. So I started searching around to try and find something that would satisfy everyone.
I found a couple different recipes that looked delicious, but instead of using something completely new I used my favourite chocolate cupcake recipe and was delighted to discover that it baked up perfectly in the bundt pan. This was awesome news as I had no time to implement a back-up plan :) I also threw in chocolate chips, more chocolate is always a bonus in dessert. True story.
After the cake cooled I filled the middle with fresh blueberries and sliced strawberries. Then everything was topped off with a drizzle of caramel and chocolate. I found the recipe for the chocolate glaze on allrecipes.com, but you could pick up a bottle of chocolate sauce at the store and it would be perfect.
When we served the cake we plopped on some whipped cream, and it was awesome! I didn't get any pictures of the final product with whipped cream, but you can trust me when I say it went really well together.
Chocolate Bundt Cake with Fresh Berries
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp coffee
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1 cup cocoa
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Fresh berries of your choice
- Caramel Sauce
- Chocolate Sauce/Glaze (store-bought or recipe follows)
- Whipped Cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 and generously grease the bundt pan
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt
- In a second bowl whisk together the buttermilk, sour cream, and coffee
- In a large bowl cream together the butter and two sugars until fluffy
- Add the eggs one at a time to the sugar mixture, mixing well after each egg
- Add the vanilla to the sugar/egg mixture and mix well
- Add 1/3 the buttermilk mixture to the sugar/egg, and mix well
- Add 1/3 the flour to the wet ingredients and mix well
- Continue until all buttermilk and dry ingredients have been added then fold in the chocolate chips
- Pour into the bundt pan and smooth the batter
- Bake for 40 - 50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the cake
- Let cool, then invert onto your serving dish
- Fill with berries, then drizzle on the chocolate and caramel sauces until your heart is content
- Serve with whipped cream if desired
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp light corn syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla