These are another tasty way to make one of your favourite summer drinks into an innocent-looking cupcake!
I know most people absolutely love Pina Coladas, but I will admit that the intense coconut taste in most that I have had is a little bit much for me. I tend to lean towards the Margaritas or Strawberry Daiquiris if given the option :) But the balance of coconut, pineapple, and sweet in these cupcakes is just right!
I just used the Pineapple Bliss Cupcake recipe and jazzed it up with some delicious coconut rum. As for the icing, I used coconut rum and some coconut extract to obtain a sweet coconut flavour.
These are so easy to make, the cupcakes only take 3 ingredients!
I then topped them off with a little bit of flaked coconut, and they were done!
Pina Colada Cupcakes
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 14 ounce can crushed pineapple, with the juice
- 4 tbsp coconut rum
- Preheat the oven according to the cake mix directions, and line 24 cupcake cups with paper liners
- Mix all three ingredients together until smooth
- Fill the cups 2/3 of the way full
- Bake according to the directions on the box
- Let cool, then ice with Pina Colada Icing
Pina Colada Icing
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 4 cups icing sugar
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- milk or whipping cream (optional)
- 3 tbsp coconut rum
- flaked coconut (optional)
- Cream the butter with the coconut extract and then add the icing sugar a cup at a time
- Add the coconut rum, and beat until smooth
- If the icing is still thick, you can add more coconut rum or milk 1 tbsp at a time until the desired consistency is reached
- Frost cooled Pina Colada Cupcakes
- Sprinkle on flaked coconut if using