This is the second of four rhubarb recipes I have made in the last couple of weeks, and I am still looking for more!
Since we leave so early in the morning for work, I love to have something quick and delicious like muffins on hand so we can grab them on our way out the door. It only made sense to get some rhubarb in my next batch!
I modified a recipe from Company's Coming Mostly Muffins and I am so happy with how the muffins turned out! They are so delicious. The white chocolate balances out the tart rhubarb nicely but they are not too sweet to enjoy for breakfast at insanely early hours.
You could also substitute another tart fruit like cranberries, or milk chocolate would taste great too. I usually like to substitute unsweetened applesauce instead of vegetable or canola oil in my muffins, but I was all out this time. It works great in muffins though!
This recipe makes 12 muffins.
Rhubarb White Chocolate Muffins
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (or unsweetened applesauce)
- 1 cup chopped rhubarb (small pieces)
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line a muffin tin with paper liners (or grease well)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt
- In a small bowl, lightly whisk together the egg, buttermilk, and vegetable oil
- Make a small well in the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients in
- Add the rhubarb and chocolate chips to the well, and stir until just moistened
- Fill the prepared muffin tin, and bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted
- Let cool before serving