This is the delicious (and shhhhh it is very easy!!) dessert I served after our Cinco de Mayo meal last week.
This recipe is from skinnytaste.com, and it seriously seemed way too good to be true. Not only was this a healthier version your everyday cupcake, it also had very few ingredients, and they were the perfect ending to a fabulous meal of Mexican food!
One thing I will definitely admit, I am not above using a box mix to produce a delicious dessert :) If it works, it works!
All the cupcakes require is a box of cake mix, and a can of crushed pineapple! How perfectly simple, right? The original recipe called for a 20 oz can of crushed pineapple, but I accidentally used a 14 oz can and it still worked amazing.
The icing takes a total of 4 ingredients, and was so delicious! It was sweet and refreshing at the same time. Again, I accidentally used a 14 oz can instead of a 20 oz, and it was still a wonderful icing :)
I am definitely making these again!
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 can (14 oz or 20 oz) crushed pineapple (with the juice)
- Preheat the oven according to cake mix instructions and fill 24 muffin cups with cupcake liners
- Combine the cake mix and the whole can of crushed pineapple in a bowl and mix well
- Fill each prepared muffin cup 2/3 of the way full
- Bake according the the cake mix directions
- Let cool completely before frosting
Coconut Pineapple Icing
- 250 g cream cheese (1 package) (I used light)
- 20 (or 14!) oz can crushed pineapple (juice drained)
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup sugar