Here is a quick and easy side dish that is perfect for a weeknight dinner!
I really like onion rings, but usually they are dripping with grease after being deep fried, gross! After I saw these on skinnytaste.com, I was so excited to see a light and healthy alternative.
These come together with only a few ingredients, and one onion can produce a ton of onion rings.
Give these a try instead of the classic french fries on your next burger night!
Baked Onion Rings
- 1 medium onion, sliced into 1 cm thick rings
- 2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup italian seasoned bread crumbs
- cooking spray
- After the onions are sliced, place them in a bowl with the buttermilk and let them soak in the refrigerator for about 1 hour
- After the onion rings have soaked, preheat the oven to 450 F and line a couple of baking sheets with parchment paper
- Mix together the Panko bread crumbs, seasoned italian bread crumbs, and pinch of salt in a bowl
- Dip each soaked onion ring (one at a time) into the bread crumb mixture and then place onto the prepared baking sheets, making sure none of the onion rings are touching or overlapping
- Quickly spray all of the finished onion rings with baking spray and then bake for 10-12 minutes or until a light golden brown
- When golden brown, place in a serving dish and serve with dinner!