The only thing better than sitting on the beach in Mexico sipping a margarita is sitting in the hot tub at home, sipping a margarita!
These cupcakes are a really fun dessert to serve at a BBQ or theme party. I know that there are a ton of delicious versions out there, but these are the first ones I have ever tried and they were fantastic!
I love lemon and lime desserts, so I think that contributed to how addicting I found these cupcakes. Sneaking a little tequila in with my breakfast cupcake didn't hurt either.
These have a fantastic lime flavour and would be great with or without the addition of tequila.
This recipe is originally from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, but I ran out of soy milk at 1 cup and so I used 1% milk as well and they turned out great!
This recipe makes 24 Margarita Cupcakes.
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 tsp lime zest
- 2 cups soy milk (or regular milk)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3 tbsp tequila
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 2/3 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line your muffin tins with paper liners
- In a large bowl mix together the lime juice, lime zest, soy milk, canola oil, tequila, vanilla, and sugar
- In a second bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt
- Pour the dry ingredients in with the wet and mix well
- Fill 24 muffing cups, and bake for 18 - 22 minutes (or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted)
- Let cool completely before frosting
- Frost with Margarita Icing
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, room temperature
- 2 tbsp milk
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp lime zest
- 1 tbsp tequila
- 4 - 5 cups icing sugar
- pinch salt