Sometimes when you think you have nothing that can make a simple meal in your fridge, a quick search on the interwebs can quickly prove you wrong! The other night we had absolutely no idea what to whip up for supper, but we knew that we wanted some sort of comfort food due to the fact that the dreaded snow had finally arrived.
Once again allrecipes.com came to the rescue! One of my husband's favourite dishes is Beef and Greens, so with some tweaking to this recipe based on what we had available, we were able to make a tasty supper and have some awesome lunches the next day.
This makes enough for 4 - 6 servings. We served this with some brown fried rice and it was a perfect meal on a chilly night.
Since my husband is still talking about this, it is a definite keeper! I know we'll be making this again, very soon!
Beef and Greens
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 can beef broth (10.5 oz)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb steak, cut into strips
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 generous cup chopped broccoli
- 1 generous cup bean sprouts
- 1 generous cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 generous cup sugar snap peas, sliced
- In a small bowl add the flour, beef broth, sugar, and soy sauce and mix well
- In a large wok or skillet, heat up the olive oil over medium heat
- Add the beef strips and cook for 2 - 4 minutes, or until browned
- Add the vegetables, garlic, and ginger and mix well
- Pour in the sauce, and mix to coat all of the beef and veggies
- Bring the mixture to a boil, and then reduce heat to low and let simmer for 10 - 15 minutes to let the sauce thicken while stirring occasionally
- Serve alone or over rice