I recently had a request for some Chai Cupcakes from a friend of mine. Since I have never had a chai cupcake myself, or even seen any recipes during my internet wanderings, I got right to work to find the perfect recipe.
I thought that the Snickerdoodle cupcake recipe would be the perfect base because the batter lets whatever spices you add shine through. I mixed up a quick spice mixture with the common flavours used in chai-flavoured lattes and desserts and got to work taste testing!
I found that a mixture of cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and cardamom was the best received by my willing taste testers. Since the cupcake had such a distinctive flavour, I used a Vanilla Bean Swiss Meringue Buttercream to complement the cupcake so that the frosting wouldn't compete with the cupcake.
I was so happy with how these turned out, and I really hope my friend enjoyed them as well :)
This recipe makes about 26 regular-sized cupcakes. Feel free to add the spice mixture a couple of teaspoons at a time until they are as spicy as you like your chai tea.
Chai spice mixture
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground cloves
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 to 2 tbsp chai spice mixture (to taste)
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line you muffin pans with cupcake liners
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, salt, and 1 tbsp of the spice mixture
- In a second bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy
- Add the eggs to the butter/sugar two at a time, mixing well after each addition
- Add the vanilla and again mix well
- Add half of the dry ingredients to the wet and mix well
- Add the milk, mixing until well incorporated
- Mix in the rest of the flour mixture and then give it a quick taste test. Feel free to add more spice mixture if you want it to be stronger in flavour (I added about another 1/2 tbsp at this point)
- Fill your cupcake liners, and bake for 18 - 22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle of a cupcake
- Let cool completely before frosting
- Frost with your favourite vanilla frosting, or enjoy the delicious chai flavour in a naked cupcake!