I was asked to make some Butter Pecan Cupcakes this summer, and while I had never had a Butter Pecan Cake before, it sounded like something I would love to try!
These cupcakes turned out delicious! They are definitely up there in my top 5 favourite cupcakes. The browned butter, toasted pecans, and not-to-sweet vanilla cake base are amazing when all combined.
These were topped with a swiss meringue buttercream and extra toasted pecans. The buttery flavour of this buttercream is the perfect finish to these cupcakes.
I have a huge bag of pecans just waiting to be toasted up and folded into this batter :)
The original recipe was found on allrecipes.com and makes a 3-layer 9 inch cake. I make about 3 dozen cupcakes from this recipe.
Butter Pecan Cupcakes
- 1 1/4 cups butter
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line your muffin pans with cupcake liners
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the pecans and brown the butter and pecans for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until fragrant. Remove from heat and set aside
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt
- In a second large bowl cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Add the eggs two at a time to the butter/sugar, mixing well after each addition
- Add half of the flour mixture and mix well
- Add the milk and vanilla, again mixing well
- Mix in the rest of the flour and then fold in the pecans
- Bake for 18 - 22 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into a cupcake
- Let cool before frosting (I frosted these with a swiss meringue buttercream, and topped them with some extra toasted pecans)