Today I realized that I am way overdue for a post about cupcakes! I don't know what has gotten into me lately :)
I made these cute Snickerdoodle cupcakes a couple weeks ago for a baby shower. I had been looking for a reason to make these Snickerdoodle Cupcakes from marthastewart.com, so the timing was perfect.
The original recipe makes about 28 regular cupcakes. I made about 4 dozen mini's and 1 dozen regular cupcakes with it. I think mini cupcakes are so great for events like baby showers and wedding showers, with all of the other treats present a mini cupcake is the perfect size!
I loved the cinnamon flavour, and the sweetness on top from the cinnamon sugar was a great finish.
The stars are made out of marshmallow fondant with some green gel food colouring worked in to get the marbled look. Tangent, I tried covering my first cakes with fondant this weekend. Up until now I had just used it to make decorations/toppers for cupcakes. It is so much harder to cover a cake than it looks! I did manage to cover them, but they are by no means professional looking :) I think I need more practice, and more people to pass my 'practice' cakes off too! I have so much cake at my house right now...
These were so fun to make, and I think they turned out pretty cute!
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon (plus extra for dusting the cupcakes)
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 1 3/4 cups sugar (plus extra for dusting the cupcakes)
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- Preheat your oven to 350 F and line your cupcake tins with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the regular flour, cake flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon
- In a second bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy
- Add the eggs to the butter/sugar mixture one at a time, making sure each egg is well mixed in before adding the next one
- Add the vanilla and mix well
- Add the flour to the wet ingredients, alternating with the milk until all is added
- Mix well, and pour the batter into your waiting cupcake cups
- For regular cupcakes, bake for 18 - 22 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into a cupcake
- For mini cupcakes, bake for 8 - 12 minutes, or again until a toothpick comes out clean
- Frost with your favourite icing (I used vanilla buttercream)
- If you want, you can mix about 2 tbsp of sugar with 1/2 tsp cinnamon and sprinkle it on top of the icing