In addition to the beautiful cake my husband had made me for my birthday, I whipped up some vegan vanilla cupcakes (using the lemon vegan cupcake recipe without the lemon juice or zest) and topped them with an amazing Raspberry Buttercream.
These were easy cupcakes to make, but they were so good!
To make the raspberry buttercream I mashed about half a cup of raspberries together, and then strained out the excess fluid. The raspberry mash was then whipped into the buttercream, and then piped onto the cupcakes.
I love how versatile the buttercream is, you can add so many delicious fruits for a variety of flavours!
This raspberry buttercream recipe is enough to decorate 1 dozen cupcakes.
- 1/2 cup butter (or shortening)
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp butter flavouring (if using shortening)
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
- heavy cream
- Cream together the butter (or shortening) and the vanilla (and butter flavouring if using shortening)
- Add the icing sugar a cup at a time, and mix until smooth
- Mash together the raspberries, and drain out the excess fluid
- Add the raspberry mash to the icing and whip until fluffy
- If the icing is still too stiff for piping, add heavy cream 1/2 tbsp at a time until the desired consistency is reached