These are the delicious vegan carrot cake cupcakes that I had also made for the baby shower for my friend. I never used to even like carrot cake, now I love a chance to make it! The warm spices are perfect for a winter dessert.
I find that I usually have trouble making mini carrot cake cupcakes, maybe it is because there is so much ‘stuff’ for the batter to hold together in the tiny cup? So to try and avoid that this time, I chopped up my raisins so that they were more manageable are and I shredded the carrots extra small.
These small changes seemed to do the trick! After the cupcakes had cooled they came out of the cupcake wrappers much better than previous attempts. Whew!
Since I couldn’t get my hands on any vegan cream cheese I made a vegan buttercream frosting and added a bit of butter flavoring to complement the carrot cake. I think the flavor combo came out quite nice.
And the little ninja still hasn’t made an appearance! I’m getting impatient :)The original recipe is from Vegan Cupcakes take over the World. I modified it a bit to work with the requests for the shower and what I had available in the house. This makes 12 regular, or 3 dozen mini cupcakes.
Vegan Carrot Cake Cupcakes
- 2/3 cup flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup soy milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped raisins
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line you muffin pans with paper liners. Lightly spray the liners with baking or cooking spray
- In a large bowl, mix together the soy milk and apple cider vinegar and let sit for a few minutes to curdle and thicken up
- Add the sugar, vegetable oil, and vanilla, and mix well
- In a second bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and all spices
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet
- Add the carrots and raisins and mix until well distributed
- Fill the prepared liners and bake for 26 - 28 minutes (regular cupcakes), or 12 - 15 minutes for mini cupcakes
- Let cool before frosting