This year the beautiful Rachel from theavidappetite.com had a fabulous idea, a virtual cookie swap for Christmas! How fun!
She organized a bunch of us bloggers (that girl has mad organizational skills!) to share our favourite cookie that we were going to bake up for the holidays so that everyone can get a fabulous start for the Christmas season. I am so excited for all of the amazing recipes that everyone has shared!
If you want to see what other delectable cookies have been contributed, you can check out her round-up here, and I strongly recommend that you do. Except that it will give you the urge to rush into your kitchen and fire up that oven. Consider yourself warned.
I decided to do a twist on the traditional shortbread cookie. I absolutely love the buttery taste and texture of shortbread cookies, and how you can always depend on them showing up on the dessert table at Christmas every year. I thought it would be cute to incorporate some crushed candy canes for a pop of both colour and a yummy peppermint flavour.
These were so easy to make! And so festive looking as well. I’m super happy with how they turned out.
I used the traditional shortbread cookie recipe that my family has always made, and mixed 2 crushed candy canes into the dough. I then baked them up as usual and out came cute candy cane shortbread cookies! These don’t even need sprinkles (and that is saying a lot, I love sprinkles!).
When it comes to crushing the candy canes, if you have a food processor please use it. I figured “hey, I’m only going to need, like, 2 candy canes. Totally not worth having to wash my entire food processor!”. I was wrong, just use the darn food processor. I made such a mess cutting these candy canes up with a knife I think the cleanup was even longer! Eh, you live, you learn. These cookies were worth every minute of the cleanup!
I made just over two dozen cookies with this recipe. And then I ate half a dozen before I could control myself. So maybe double this recipe, just in case.
Candy Cane Shortbread Cookies
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 cup butter (room temperature)
- 2 candy canes, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 300 F and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper
- In a large bowl whisk together the corn starch, icing sugar, and flour
- Blend in the butter until a soft dough forms
- Add the chopped/crushed candy canes and mix until distributed throughout the dough
- Roll into 1" round balls and place on the cookies sheets
- Flatten each ball with your hand or a lightly floured fork
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes, or until the edges are a light golden brown
- Let cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes before moving to a cookie rack