After that 12" monster of a cake, how about something on the savoury side? Just thinking about how much sugar I used for that cake and the buttercream has me craving these tasty lettuce wraps for some much-needed balance.
I first saw these on skinnytaste.com one afternoon when I was looking for something quick, easy, and tasty for supper. These definitely fit all three categories! This still remains one of my favourite go-to sites when we need a delicious and healthy meal for supper.
I adapted the recipe a bit based on what I had on hand, and they turned out fantastic! I think my husband had inhaled his first wrap before I even had the chance to pick mine up.
I served these with some brown rice and home-made spring rolls for a complete meal, but you could also serve them as-is for a light lunch or as an amazing appetizer.
Recipe adapted from skinnytaste.com and makes about 6 servings.
Chicken and Mushroom Lettuce Wraps
- About 450 g ground chicken
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (reduced sodium)
- 1/2 tsp oyster sauce
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp cooking sherry
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 - 8 butter lettuce leaves, washed
- 2 tbsp diced green onions
- Spicy hoisin dipping sauce
- 4 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1/2 tsp (or more to taste) chili sauce (ex: Sriracha)
- 1 tbsp water
- In a small bowl mix together the soy sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil, cooking sherry, sugar, salt and pepper
- In a medium bowl add the ground chicken and sliced mushrooms
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and mushrooms, mix well, and let marinate for about 15 minutes
- In a second small bowl whisk together the hoisin sauce, chili sauce, and water. Set aside
- In a non-stick frying pan or wok, heat up some olive or sesame oil
- Add the garlic and saute quickly (about 10 - 15 seconds)
- Add the chicken and mushrooms, making sure all of the sauce in the large bowl is added to the wok as well
- Stir fry until chicken is cooked through
- When ready to serve, spoon some of the chicken mixture onto the prepared butter lettuce leaves and top with chopped green onions and some spicy hoisin sauce.