It seems that lately every time a new recipe pops up it is some new take on the classic s'more. The crazy part is that each and every variation looks so freaking delicious! And I don't think I'll be getting over this 'craze' anytime soon. Despite the cooler temperatures I think my next s'more adventure will be some version of s'more ice cream...hmm. Ohhh, or maybe s'more brownies!
This particular dessert came about because a couple weeks ago I found myself with 4 bags of mini marshmallows, and nowhere to store them. 4 bags! Ridiculous right?
What happened is that I was going to make a wedding cake for a friend, and after arriving at my trusty store I found that they were sold out of white fondant! SOLD OUT! Who does that? Mind you, we were in the peak of wedding season, and I may have waited until the day before I was to start baking the cake to pick up supplies, but really! They should know I am a procrastinator, isn't every baker?
So I stocked up on supplies to make my own marshmallow fondant; something I had only attempted once or twice before giving into the ease of the store-bought stuff. But the next day I tried a different location and voila! They had a ton of it in stock, so I ended up with an excess of marshmallows and icing sugar in my tiny pantry.
My husband absolutely loves rice krispie squares, so I figured I would whip up a batch to start using the marshmallows. As I was stirring the butter and marshmallows together I realized that while my husband may want rice krispies,
After it was all pressed into the dish and had started to cool, I topped it all off with more graham crackers, mini marshmallows, and melted chocolate.
Holy cow, did this ever work out awesome! I ended up making it a second time only a week later since we went through it so fast. This is so tasty!
I didn't follow a particular recipe to make these, just the classic rice krispie recipe and then started adding the s'more ingredients that were conveniently out on my counter :) This recipe makes enough to fill one 9 x 13" pan.
- 1/4 cup margarine or butter
- 5 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6 cups rice krispies
- 1 cup crushed graham crackers
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup crushed graham crackers
- 1/2 cup mini marshmallows
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Grease a 9" x 13" pan and set aside
- In a large pot melt the margarine or butter over medium heat
- When the butter is melted, add the marshmallows and stir until melted
- Add the vanilla, remove the pot from the heat and then mix in the rice krispies and the graham cracker pieces
- After the rice krispies and graham crackers are mixed in, add the chocolate chips and quickly stir to mix (but don't melt all of the chocolate chips)
- Carefully press the rice krispie mixture into the prepared pan with a greased spoon, and let cool
- When the s'more krispies have cooled, top with the additional graham pieces and the mini marshmallows
- Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave and drizzle on top