Since our kitchen has been overflowing with sweet baked goods these last few weeks, we were craving something that was on the completely opposite end of the spectrum.
We had both potatoes and broccoli in our fridge that needed to be used, so I found this delicious side dish recipe on eatingwell.com, and modified it based on what we had available at home.
This turned out wonderfully! It was easily our favourite part of supper that night.
If you are looking for a quick and easy side dish that can go with almost any main course, give this a shot.
Cheesy Broccoli-Potato Mash
- 2 cups baby potatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 1/2 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 slices bacon, cut into small pieces
- 2 tbsp milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium pot, bring a couple inches of water to boil
- Place a steamer on top of the pot, and steam the potatoes for about 10 minutes
- Add the broccoli to the steamer, and steam with the potatoes for another 10 minutes
- Place the broccoli in a bowl, and mash
- Add the potatoes, cheese, bacon, and milk to the mashed broccoli and mash it all together
- Add salt and pepper to taste