This past weekend we went on a camping trip with a large group of family. It is an annual camping and family golf tournament event that is always a blast. We had a large potluck on Friday and I was in charge of dessert!
I made one batch of Devil's Food Chocolate, and one batch of Yellow Buttermilk cupcakes. I baked each as half regular cupcakes, and half mini. Next time, I think I will go with all mini, they seem to go over much better after a really large meal!
I also found a buttercream icing recipe that seemed to work really well. It was super easy to decorate with; it spread well and also held up to piping. And best of all, it held up great against the heat all weekend! It is a Wilton recipe and can be found on the Wilton website here. It can also be found in the 2003 Wilton Yearbook: Cake Decorating!
I can already see some people cringing when they see what is actually in icing, but trust me, it is so worth it!
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 cups icing sugar, sifted
- 2 tbsps milk
- Cream together the butter and shortening until smooth
- Add the vanilla, and mix until fully mixed
- Add the icing sugar 1 cup at a time, making sure it is completely mixed in before adding the next cup
- After all the icing sugar is added, add in the milk and beat until it is nice and fluffy. At this point you can also add your food coloring if you wish to do so
- If you want to make this ahead of time, you can store it in an air-tight container for about two weeks in the fridge