Since I won't be around to celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving this upcoming weekend, I decided to whip up my own pumpkin pie so I didn't have to miss out!
Why am I going to miss Thanksgiving you ask? Because right now ('now' being this Wednesday morning!) my Aunt and I are landing in London, England for a full week of sight-seeing bliss! That's right, over the next week we will be staying at different Bed and Breakfasts all over England and Scotland. We will be visiting castles, golfing at St. Andrews, having tea at Harrod's, enjoying the occasional pint of beer with some delicious fish 'n' chips, and who knows what else!
I cannot wait for this trip, we have been looking forward to it since the minute we booked it in August! I also cannot wait to share some of our favourite moments with you when we get back next week.
In the meantime, here is the delicious pumpkin pie! This was my first attempt at making a pumpkin pie from scratch and I am now hooked. This was so light and tasty, and the pecan streusel topping was such a nice touch. This recipe is adapted from a recipe I found on allrecipes.com.
This makes one 9" pie. It puffs up a lot while baking, but then settles back into the perfect amount for a regular 9" pie plate.
Pumpkin Pie with Pecan Streusel Topping
- 1 x 398 mL (15 oz) can pumpkin puree
- 1 x 300 mL can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1 x 9" unbaked pie shell
- For the streusel topping
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp cold butter
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 425 F
- In a large bowl, mix the pumpkin puree, condensed milk, egg yolks, and spices until well mixed
- In a small bowl, whip the egg whites until they hold soft peaks
- Gently fold the egg whites into the pumpkin mixture until well distributed, and then pour into the pie shell
- Bake for 15 minutes at 425 F
- While the pie is baking mix together the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and cold butter with your fingers (or a pastry cutter) until crumbly
- Mix the pecans in with the streusel mixture
- When the pie has baked for 15 minutes, remove from oven and sprinkle on the pecan streusel topping
- Reduce the oven to 350 F and continue baking the pie for 40 - 45 minutes, or until set
- Let cool before serving