This recipe is originally from skinnytaste.com, so despite the creamy, cheesy, deliciousness that it is, this is actually a fairly healthy choice! win-win!
I will admit that I threw in extra cheese, and some bacon as well, but when does bacon not make a meal better?
If you don't like spinach, you can throw any type of vegetable in with this: broccoli, peas, mushrooms, or leave the vegetable out all together.
Here it is ready to go in the oven! I threw the leftover grated cheese on top, you can't let cheese go to waste.
And here it is right out of the oven, nice and golden!
The original recipe can be found here. I halved it because the original recipe would have made way to many leftovers.
Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- 6 oz fiber macaroni
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp minced onion
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (reduced sodium)
- 1 to 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (depends on how cheesy you like it)
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- 6 slices cooked bacon, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 1/4 cup unseasoned bread crumbs (I use Panko bread crumbs)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook your pasta as per the directions on the package, drain and set aside
- Preheat the oven to 375 and spray your baking dish with cooking spray
- In a large pan, melt the butter
- Add the flour and whisk it into the butter
- Add the onion, and cook for about 2 minutes
- Pour in the milk and the chicken broth, then continue mixing until it is smooth and has thickened
- Sprinkle in some salt and pepper while mixing
- Remove the pan from the element, and then stir in the cheese
- Continue stirring until the cheese has completely melted, and the mixture is smooth
- Pour over the macaroni and add the spinach and bacon
- Mix thoroughly, and then pour into the prepared baking dish
- Top with breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, and any leftover shredded cheese
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes, or until golden