Keeping in theme with my current obsession with pumpkin recipes (like the delicious pumpkin cupcakes and the wonderful pumpkin cream cheese muffins), I found this recipe on allrecipes.com. It had more than 3700 reviews, and still maintained it's 5-star rating!
This recipe makes two pumpkin loaves, and is absolutely delicious. The only modification I made was to substitute the oil with margarine and apple sauce.
A bonus is that this recipe freezes really well, if the second loaf even makes it to the freezer!
- 2 cups pureed pumpkin
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup softened butter or margarine
- 2/3 cup water
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and grease & flour two loaf pans
- Mix together the pumpkin, eggs, applesauce, margarine, water and sugar
- In a second bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet, and mix well
- Pour half into each pan, and level the batter with a spatula or spoon
- Bake for 45 - 60 minutes, or until a toothpick (or skewer) comes out clean when inserted into the center of a loaf
- Let cool for at least 30 minutes, then the loaves should easily come out of the pans