Here is a hearty soup that will warm you up and satisfy even the hungriest tummy! Since the ravioli cooks right with the soup, this is an extremely quick and delicious supper.
I fond this recipe on the eatingwell.com website, they have a ton of delicious and healthy recipes that I cannot wait to try.
I used whole wheat ravioli filled with cheese and spinach, yum! You can really use any type of ravioli, or tortellini if that is what you have in your house.
When served with some bread or a bun, this makes a wonderful meal!
Ravioli & Vegetable Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups of chopped bell peppers & onions (I used a frozen bell pepper and onion mix from Safeway!)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper (or more if you like it spicy)
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (796 ml)
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups of chicken broth (reduced sodium)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 small package of ravioli (ie: not the family sized packs)
- 2 cups diced zucchini
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large sauce pan or pot, heat the oil and then add the peppers, onions, garlic, and crushed red pepper
- Cook for a couple minutes until vegetables start to soften
- Add the crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, water and basil
- Bring the soup to a boil
- Add the ravioli and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often
- Then add the diced zucchini, and continue cooking until the ravioli is cooked and the zucchini is crisp-tender (about 5 more minutes)
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Serve with some delicious bread