Here is a fairly easy recipe, that looks impressive when you have guests over! This recipe is from skinnytaste.com, and tastes great.
To start, cut each chicken breast into thin slices. I was able to get two full slices out of each, and a small piece of chicken that I set aside for the moment.
Lay half a slice of swiss cheese on each piece of chicken, followed by a couple pieces of steamed broccoli.
Then fold up the chicken, tucking in all of the cheese and broccoli. Toothpicks work great to hold everything together!
Then dip the chicken pieces into the egg wash, followed by the seasoned breadcrumbs. Place the pieces on a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray, or one lined with parchment paper.
This is also where those extra chicken pieces come into play! I cut them into strips, and dipped them in the egg wash and then the breadcrumbs. They were then bake for about 20 minutes with the rest of the chicken, and now you have chicken strips! You can put them on a salad for lunch the next day, or they are great for the picky eater at the dinner table too.
The stuffed chicken is then baked for about 40 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink.
These are fantastic! I served mine with a fresh garden salad on the side for a delicious (and healthy!) supper.
Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken
- 3 chicken breasts, sliced into thin slices (down the length of the chicken breast)
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp water
- 3/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 cups of broccoli, steamed and cut into small pieces
- 3 to 5 slices of swiss cheese
- cooking spray or parchment paper
- Preheat your oven to 350 F and spray your cookie sheet, or line with parchment paper
- In a small bowl, beat together the egg and water
- Place the breadcrumbs in a second bowl
- If your chicken breast slices are too thick, you can pound them to make them thinner and therefore easier to roll up
- Place half a slice of swiss cheese on a piece of chicken, followed by a few pieces of broccoli
- Roll up the chicken around the cheese and broccoli, securing all of the filling inside
- Seal closed with toothpicks
- Dip into the egg wash, and then coat with breadcrumbs
- Bake for 30 to 45 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink
- If you are also making chicken strips with the remaining chicken, these will take about 20 to 30 minutes to cook