Last week we had some really gross weather for September, and that had me digging out my 'Fall' recipes a little early this year. This meal is very easy to throw together, and it warms you right up! I had this with my jalapeno cheddar biscuits, and it was exactly what we needed on a cold day.
You can make this with any vegetables that you have sitting in your fridge. I used asparagus, red onion, carrots, mushrooms, and red peppers. I love the way asparagus and bell peppers taste when they are cooked like this!
This recipe was originally from skinnytaste.com, a website that has a ton of amazing healthy recipes. This recipe originally called for a large amount of rosemary, but when I made the dish for the first time we found it to be very overpowering. I love being able to taste the delicious flavors of all of the vegetables in a dish.
Balsamic Chicken and Vegetables
- 2 chicken breasts
- 6 pieces of asparagus, cut into 2" long pieces
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into large pieces
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 6 large mushrooms, cut in half (or quarters if the mushrooms are quite large)
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt and pepper
- 1 to 2 gloves of garlic, diced
- 1 to 2 tbsp oregano
- Preheat your oven to 425 F
- Clean your chicken and cut each into two pieces
- Place the chicken and the prepared vegetables in a roasting pan
- Whisk the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, sugar, garlic, salt and pepper, and oregano together in a bowl
- Pour the balsamic mixture over the chicken and vegetables, and place uncovered in the preheated oven
- Bake for 30 - 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through