You might see this and think to yourself: "yet another standard Greek Salad, ho hum", but I beg you to stop and look at this again! This salad is so delicious, it is fresh and zesty and tastes absolutely amazing! It was also really quick to make, which is always a huge bonus in my books.
I found this recipe on the Eating Well website last week when I was looking for a quick and tasty supper. The original recipe can be found here.
For the chicken in this recipe, you can either use leftover chicken from another meal, bake, poach, or grill a couple plain chicken breasts, or leave the chicken out all together. The dressing gives the chicken such an amazing flavor, so you really do not need to worry about seasoning or marinating beforehand.
I poached two chicken breasts because it is so cold and rainy out that grilling it was out of the question, and I also wanted to give this method a try. All you do is place some lightly salted water in a sauce pan or non-stick frying pan, and then throw in your chicken (ensuring the water covers the meat). Bring the water to a boil, and then turn it down to a simmer and let it cook, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink on the inside. This method cooks the chicken quite quickly, and leaves it really moist.
While my chicken was cooking, I made the salad dressing and prepared all of the vegetables. By time the chicken was done, everything else was ready! I cut up my chicken into bite-size chunks, then lightly seasoned it with salt, pepper, and some garlic salt. The chicken was then thrown into the bowl with the rest of the salad, everything was tossed together, and a delicious supper was ready!
Greek Salad with Chicken
- 1/3 cup red-wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 5 - 6 cups romaine lettuce, chopped (or 1 bag of prepared romaine lettuce from the grocery store)
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 cucumber
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 small can sliced black olives, drained
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- If you need to cook your chicken, throw it on the grill or poach it on the stove-top
- In your salad bowl, whisk together the red-wine vinegar, olive oil, dill, garlic powder, salt and pepper
- Chop up the tomatoes, cucumber, red bell pepper, and red onion
- Add the lettuce, chopped vegetables, and black olives to the salad bowl that contains the salad dressing
- Chop up the feta, and the cooked chicken
- Add the feta and chicken to the salad bowl, and toss everything together