With the exception of the last 3 days, our weather has still been pretty chilly for September. As a result, warm and delicious soups have been on my mind like crazy!
This recipe was emailed to me on a chilly day last week as part of a weekly newsletter from marthastewart.com. It looked so hearty and warm, and it had bacon! What more can you ask for in a soup?
This soup is fantastic alone.
And even better with some bacon.
You could add some cheese too!
This didn't take very long to make, and made an awesome lunch the next day at work too. The next time you are facing a cold day, make this for lunch or dinner!
Broccoli and Corn Chowder (with Bacon!)
- 8 slices of bacon, cut into pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cans chicken broth (about 350 ml each)
- 1 russet potato, cubed
- 2 heads of broccoli, with florets cut into small pieces
- 1 small package (or about 1 1/2 cups) frozen corn kernels
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1 cup milk
- salt and pepper
- shredded cheese (optional)
- Cook the bacon in a large pot until crisp, then remove and let cool on a paper towel
- Place the onion in the same pot, and cook until it begins to soften
- Add the flour, and stir for about half a minute with the onion
- Pour in the chicken broth, and add the potato
- Simmer until the potato is soft, about 10 to 15 minutes
- Then add the broccoli, corn, thyme, and milk
- Stir well, and cook for 10 - 12 minutes, or until the broccoli is starting to become tender
- Season to taste with the salt and pepper
- Top with bacon and cheese
- Enjoy with some warm bread or biscuits!