This weekend we are heading out of town to visit with some friends and I can't wait! They have two ridiculously cute boys, one of which has a milk allergy. Since I wanted to bring a treat that everyone can enjoy, I decided to try and make a batch of vegan cupcakes.
The neat thing about vegan cupcakes is that they rely on the reaction between vinegar and baking soda to rise, instead of the traditional ingredients that you find in cupcakes.
These are very easy to make, and are perfect if you are going to a potluck because they cover some of the more common allergies (milk allergies and nut allergies).
This recipe is from Martha Stewart's Cupcakes, and they make 1 dozen regular cupcakes.
Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups water
- Preheat your oven to 350 and line your muffin pan with cupcake liners
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt
- With a hand held mixer (or in a stand mixer) mix the oil, vinegar, vanilla, and water on medium speed
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet, and mix until completely combined
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into a cupcake.
- These cupcakes freeze well in an airtight container or ziploc bag, so feel free to double or triple the recipe, and store some for later!