A few weeks go I was lucky enough to snag a ticket to the opening night of the vey last Harry Potter movie! I have loved the series since I picked up that first book a long time ago. Both the books and the movies are awesome, but the books will always be my favourite.
The movie was AWESOME! It was so well done and I cannot believe that it is the very last one. While the movie has a happy ending, it was sad to see everything come to an end. The anticipation of the next book or movie has been half the fun!
When I spotted these cookies on Bake at 350, I knew they would be the perfect celebratory snack to smuggle into the theatre. I have yet to try the 'real' butterbeer that they serve at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter theme park, but I do plan on making my way over there one day! Road trip anyone?
This recipe makes a fairly large batch of cookies. I make just over 3 dozen with my star-shaped cookie cutter.
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp butter flavouring (you can buy this at Michaels)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Butterbeer Glaze:
- 1 1/3 cups butterscotch chips
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 2 tbsp light corn syrup
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line several cookie sheets with parchment paper
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour and baking powder
- In a second bowl cream together the sugar, brown sugar, and butter until it is fluffy
- Add the egg, butter flavouring, and vanilla to the butter/sugar mixture and mix well
- Add the flour to the wet ingredients about 1/2 cup at a time mixing well after each addition
- When you add the last bit of flour, you might need to knead the dough with your hands to incorporate all of the dry ingredients
- Roll out the dough between two sheets of parchment until 1/3" thick
- Bake for about 8 - 12 minutes or until the edges are a light golden brown
- Let cool fully before drizzling on the glaze
- While the cookies cool you can prepare the butterbeer glaze
- Set up a double boiler and mix together the butterscotch chips, evaporated milk, corn syrup, and salt until smooth
- Drizzle the cookies until your heart is content