While the Pioneer Woman's cinnamon rolls will always be a huge favourite of mine (and everyone else's from what I can tell!), sometimes you don't have the time to prepare the yeast-dough that they are made of. Especially if you need a quick and delicious cinnamon bun to quell a sudden craving, or to feed a house-hold of hungry guests!
I first had these while visiting friends. After tasting one I couldn't write down the recipe fast enough! I cannot remember where the recipe originates, but oh man, is it ever good! I took a good look online and found several sources with the same recipe, the one that I found the most often is from Company's Coming.
The dough comes together quickly, and I love how they are baked up in a muffin pan so that they can easily be grabbed and devoured.
These are amazing with a classic glaze, but are also sweet enough on their own if you don't want to deal with the glaze.
This recipe makes 12 cinnamon rolls and it can easily be doubled (or tripled!) for a hungry crowd.
Easy Cinnamon Rolls
- 2 cups flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1 cup cold milk
- Cinnamon filling
- 1/3 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1 - 2 tbsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 400 F and grease a muffin pan
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- Using a pastry blender (or your fingers) cut in the cold butter until it resembles coarse crumbs
- Make a well in the centre and add the cold milk
- Mix until a soft dough forms, then place on a lightly floured surface
- Knead the dough about 10 times, and then roll it into a 12" long rectangle
- In a small bowl mix together the softened butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon
- Spread the cinnamon filling on the rectangle of dough
- Roll up the dough and then cut it into 12 pieces
- Place each piece into a muffin cup, and then bake for 20 - 25 minutes
- After you have removed the cinnamon rolls from the oven, whisk together the glaze in a small bowl.
- Drizzle them with the glaze, and Enjoy!