I also made these tasty chocolate cookies for the bake sale fundraiser this last week. They are a rich, chocolatey cookie, and they aren't very sweet at all. I drizzled them with white chocolate for a quick and easy decoration, and to add a touch of sweetness to them as well.
I really enjoyed these cookies, the fact that they weren't incredible sweet was such a nice change for a cookie! That may be why I am also enjoying biscotti so much lately.
This recipe is from Martha Stewart's Cookies, and I made 4 dozen cookies out of one batch.
Chocolate Cookie Cutouts
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa, salt, and cinnamon
- Beat together the butter and the icing sugar until light and fluffy
- Add the egg and vanilla to the butter mixture, and mix well
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, and mix thoroughly
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for a minimum of 1 hour (this can be made and refrigerated overnight)
- Flour a piece of parchment paper, and then roll out the dough (1/8 to 1/4 inch thick)
- Place the rolled out dough (on the parchment paper) into the freezer for about 15 minutes to set
- Preheat your oven to 350 F, and line a few cookie sheets with parchment paper
- Cut out your cookies from the dough using whichever cookie cutters you like (I used a star, a tree, and a candy cane shape)
- Place the cookies on the prepared baking sheets, and then place them back in the freezer for about 15 minutes (this will help set the dough and ensure that they keep their crisp shape while baking)
- Bake until the edges are dry, about 8 minutes
- Let them cool, and then decorate with whatever you like!
Note: If you would like to decorate them as I have, place some white chocolate candy melts (or white chocolate chips) in a sandwich bag. Microwave at 30 second intervals, massaging the bag between each interval. When the chocolate is completely melted, snip off a corner of the bag and drizzle away!
Is anyone else having trouble with blogger? I cannot seem to control my font size today!