In my hunt for the best vanilla cupcake, I came across this recipe on tastykitchen.com a couple days ago. The name right away caught my eye - Moist Vanilla Cupcakes. They seemed perfect since my biggest issue is that so many cupcake recipes seem to be on the dry side. I have tried so many vanilla recipes, including vanilla buttermilk cupcakes and even a boxed vanilla cake mix, and all have just seemed so...dry.
I can honestly say that these are the best vanilla cupcakes that I have made so far!
They were really simple to make, and the suggestion of wrapping them in cling/saran wrap after they came out of the muffin pan was pure genius! These retained the moisture and have a fantastic cakey texture.
The original blog post is here on Lick My Spoon, and I made 27 cupcakes with it. Since they turned out so well, I am itching to try her red velvet cupcake recipe, I have also been searching for a great red velvet recipe for the last few months!
For the frosting, I used the chocolate frosting from my vegan cupcake book, but these cupcakes would be amazing with absolutely any frosting you choose! I will be posting the chocolate frosting tomorrow :)
- 3 cups flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 sticks butter or margarine (1 cup)
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk (I used 1%)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat your oven to 350 F and line your muffin pans with cupcake liners
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder and salt
- In a separate bowl, cream the butter
- Beat the sugar into the creamed butter until very light and fluffy (this took me about 5 minutes with my stand mixer)
- Add the eggs slowly, making sure that each is completely mixed into the sugar mixture before adding the next egg
- Add 1/3 of the flour mixture, and mix well
- Pour in 1/2 cup of milk, and again mix well
- Repeat until all of the flour and milk has been added
- When all wet and dry ingredients are mixed together, add the vanilla and only mix until it is just incorporated into the batter
- Fill the cupcake liners, and bake for 18 - 23 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of a cupcake
- Let cool for 10 minutes, then remove cupcakes and place on a rack
- Cover the cupcakes with cling/saran wrap until cool
- When cooled to room temperature, remove the wrap and ice with your favourite icing
All ready to go to work with my fiance!