I had decided to make Peppermint Icing to top my chocolate cupcakes after buying some neat Christmas sprinkles. The icing turned out really well and tasted great with the cupcakes, but I think that the next time I make this icing for a Christmas cupcake, I will mix in some crushed candy canes for some nice colour and texture!
I decorated my cupcakes with my new little gingerbread man sprinkles
silver candy beads
and classic green & red jimmies!
I used my basic vanilla buttercream recipe, and substituted most of the vanilla for peppermint extract. This recipe was enough to decorate 24 regular cupcakes.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, room temperature
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 4 cups icing sugar
- 2 tsp to 2 tbsp milk
- Beat the butter (or margarine) until pale and fluffy
- Add the vanilla and the peppermint extract, and mix well
- Add the icing sugar 1 cup at a time, making sure the icing is smooth before adding the next cup of icing sugar
- After all of the icing sugar is incorporated, beat in the milk one teaspoon at a time until the desired consistency is reached (I used about 3 tsp for these cupcakes)