Ever since I tried biscotti for the first time last year (yes, it took me that long!) I have been meaning to make it myself at home. I loved not only the taste, but how perfect they are when paired with a nice hot drink on a cold night.
When I went to the grocery store to pick up the things I needed, I scoured the aisles for shelled unsalted pistachios, but no luck. I could have just picked another type of nut, or made a different kid of biscotti, but I already had the visions of delicious chocolate pistachio biscotti floating around in my head. I was committed!
So instead I bought shelled unsalted pistachios, and shelled each and every pistachio with love, and raw fingers.
But you know what? Totally worth every broken nail.
These are absolutely delicious, and make a fantastic snack with a hot beverage. I drizzled mine with white chocolate which added a nice touch of extra sweetness, but these are also fantastic without it.
The original recipe is from marthastewart.com, and made about 32 cookies.
Chocolate Pistachio Biscotti
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar plus 2 tbsp set aside
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup shelled unsalted pistachios
- 4 ounces dark chocolate, chopped (or dark chocolate chips)
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp butter or margarine, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the flour, 3/4 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt
- Add the pistachios and the chopped chocolate (or chocolate chips) and mix well
- In a second bowl, whisk together the eggs, melted butter, vanilla and cocoa until smooth
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until well combined
- Note: the dough will be quite dry, so it will take a little while to come together
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp of sugar on the parchment paper
- Split the dough in half, and form each half into a 2 1/2 inch X 12 inch log
- Place each log on the prepared baking sheet (they will both fit on one sheet), and sprinkle each with 1/2 tbsp sugar
- Bake until firm, about 15 to 20 minutes
- Remove from oven, and let cool completely (about 20 to 30 minutes)
- Set the oven to 300 F and prepare a second cookie sheet lined with parchment paper
- Cut each log into 1/2 inch thick slices (I had about 16 slices/cookies per log) and lay them out onto the parchment paper
- Bake at 300 for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the cookies are dry
- Let the biscotti cool completely
- Drizzle with white chocolate if you wish, and Enjoy!