This was my second time making biscotti, and I got lucky. These turned out just as tasty as my Chocolate Pistachio Biscotti! These are much larger than the chocolate pistachio cookies, and are perfect with a glass of hot chocolate on these chilly winter days.
The logs rose into each other while baking on my large cookie sheet, so I would recommend putting each log on a separate baking sheet in order to avoid this.
Also, next time I make these I think that I might try putting even more lemon zest in the biscotti. This is simply a personal preference, likely due to my love of anything citrus!
I originally found this recipe on marthastewart.com, and it made about 3 and a half dozen cookies.
Whole Wheat Lemon Almond Biscotti
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup liquid honey
- 1 tbsp grated lemon zest
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp almond extract
- 1 cup almonds
- Whisk together the regular flour, whole wheat flour, and baking powder in a bowl
- In a second bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, honey, lemon zest, and salt until fluffy
- Add the eggs to the sugar mixture one at a time, making sure each is well mixed in
- Add the vanilla and the almond extract and mix well
- Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the butter/sugar mixture at a time, mixing well each time
- After all flour is added, fold in the almonds
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap, and place in the refrigerator for about one hour
- Divide dough in half, and roll each half into a 2" x 15" log
- Place each log on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper
- Place cookie sheets with the biscotti dough in the refrigerator for half an hour
- Preheat the oven to 325 F
- Place both baking sheets in the oven, and bake for 35 minutes, or until the two logs are golden and firm on the edges
- Remove from the oven, reduce heat to 300 F, and let logs cool for about 20 to 30 minutes
- Slice logs width-wise into 1/2" thick slices and lay each cookie back onto the parchment lined cookie sheets
- Bake for about 30 to 40 minutes, or until golden
- Enjoy with your favourite warm beverage!
Brrr, I guess the snow is here to stay!