Here is another meal that is perfect for during the week, just throw everything in a bowl the night before, store in the refrigerator overnight, then pour everything into a crockpot and turn it on when you leave for work in the morning!
Ever since I had Tortilla Soup last time I was in Mexico, I have been looking for a recipe to try and make it at home. I found this recipe on allrecipes.com and it had an incredible amount of amazing reviews!
I was looking for a spicy soup, so I added extra enchilada sauce and a small can of jalapeno peppers. If spicy isn't your thing, just leave out the jalapeno peppers, and use less enchilada sauce (but increase the other spices for flavour).
This soup is delicious by itself, but it is even better when finished with some awesome toppings. We added fresh avocado, sour cream, cheese, and nacho chip pieces! I also served this with my Cheddar Jalapeno Biscuits, I think that I make them every opportunity that I can.
- 2 - 3 chicken breasts (can be frozen)
- 2 x 10 oz/284 mL cans chicken broth (low sodium)
- 1 small can (127 mL) chopped green chiles
- 1 small can (125 mL) sliced jalapeno peppers (optional)
- 1 can (540 mL) whole tomatoes, smashed
- 1 can (425 mL) mild enchilada sauce
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup frozen corn
- For garnish (optional)
- nacho chips
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- Place the chicken breasts, chicken broth, green chiles, jalapeno peppers, smashed tomatoes (and juice), enchilada sauce, onion, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, bay leaf, and corn into a crock pot
- Cook on high for 3 - 4 hours, or low for 6 - 8 hours
- One hour before the soup is done, remove the chicken and shred it, then return to the pot
- Garnish with nacho chips, shredded cheese, sour cream, avocado slices, cilantro, or whatever else you love!