Haystacks are a type of cookie that my family has been making as long as I can possibly remember. They are a delicious drop cookie that is really quick to make, and makes a large batch (which is necessary when these are around!).
These are very sweet, but so tasty! This recipe makes about 3 1/2 to 4 dozen cookies.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- In a large pot, place the sugar, cocoa, butter (or margarine) and milk
- Bring the first four ingredients to a boil over medium heat
- Allow the mixture to boil for 1 minute, then remove from heat
- Mix in the rolled oats, coconut, and vanilla
- Drop by heaping spoon-fulls onto waxed paper
- Let set, and enjoy!
The stack of cookies that were sent to the bake sale!