Here is a delicious alternative to all of the tasty chocolate treats that are everywhere this time of year. While my first love for desserts is chocolate, I have some serious trouble turning down a lemony dessert. There is something so appealing about a dessert that is flecked with fresh lemon zest!
The original recipe is from Martha Stewart's Cookie of the Day. Once I saw this in my inbox, I knew I would be making them the next chance I got!
The lemon glaze is an amazing touch as well, the more lemon the better!
To make the wreaths, roll out 1 tbsp of the cookie dough into about a 4 inch rope. Then pinch together the ends and place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet. After my cookies had cooled and been glazed, I decorated the wreaths with yellow jimmies to highlight the presence of lemon. I think they look pretty cute.
To make the hearts, I rolled out 1 tbsp of the dough into a rope about 6 inches long, and then pinched it in the middle to form a 'V'. I then brought together the ends to form a heart. To decorate the hearts, I used these amazing new sprinkles that I got from bakeitpretty.com after dipping them in the glaze. They are perfect for Valentine's Day desserts!
I made about 2 dozen cookies from this recipe.
Lemon Wreaths and Hearts
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- zest of two lemons
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- For the lemon glaze
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
- juice of 2 lemons
- your choice of sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350F, and line a couple cookie sheets with parchment paper
- Place the lemon zest and sugar in a bowl, and whisk it together for a few minutes (I used the whisk attachment of my stand mixer and let it go for about 2 minutes)
- In a second bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Add the room temperature butter to the sugar/lemon zest and mix it until it is light and fluffy
- Add the eggs to the butter/sugar, and mix well
- Add the vanilla and the lemon juice to the wet ingredients and again mix well
- Add the flour mixture in batches, mixing until the batter just starts to come together
- Remove about 1 tbsp of cookie dough, and roll it into a rope (4" long for a wreath, or 6" long for a heart)
- Pinch the two ends together to form a wreath (or form a 'V' and then pinch the ends together to form a heart)
- Place on the prepared cookie sheets, and then repeat with remaining cookie dough
- Bake for 10 - 15 minutes, or until the bottoms are just golden brown
- Let the cookies cool on wire cookie racks
- While the cookies are cooling, whisk together the lemon juice and icing sugar until smooth
- When the cookies are cooled, dunk the top of each cookie into the glaze, and then set it back on the cookie rack
- Decorate with your favourite sprinkles