I was craving a dessert with a coffee/chocolate combo for a couple weeks. I have no idea why since I don't even drink coffee, but who can explain cravings?
So then when I came across the Cafe Mocha Cupcakes recipe on mybakingaddiction.com, they looked incredibly delicious!
The frosting was so good on these cupcakes, I am definitely adding it to my list of favourites. This would be awesome on a variety of cupcake or cake flavours, but I think it was perfect on top of chocolate cupcakes.
This recipe is enough to frost a dozen cupcakes.
- 1 1/2 sticks butter, room temperature (3/4 cup)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 cups icing sugar
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tbsp (heaping) of instant coffee granules dissolved in 1/2 tbsp hot water
- 2 - 4 tbsp heavy cream
- In a medium bowl whisk together the icing sugar and cocoa powder
- In a separate bowl, cream the butter until light and fluffy.
- Add the icing sugar/cocoa powder about a cup at a time to the creamed butter
- After all of the icing sugar and cocoa powder has been added, pour in the vanilla and coffee/water and mix well on high
- Add the heavy cream 1/2 tbsp at a time until the desired consistency is reached
- Decorate your favourite cupcakes