This is easily my new favourite icing to use when frosting cupcakes or cakes. The fresh strawberry flavour is amazing, and it is really easy to make too :)
I used about half a pound (half a container) of strawberries to make this icing. If you are making this when strawberries are out of season (and therefore not as flavourful as they are in the summer), you can add a tablespoon or so of strawberry jam to help amp up the flavour.
This is amazing! It goes so well with almost all flavours of cupcakes.
- 1 cup shortening or butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp butter flavour (if you don't have this, you can add a second tsp of vanilla)
- 1/2 cup strawberry puree (from about 1/2 lb of strawberries)
- 4 cups icing sugar
- extra milk or cream
- Cream together the shortening (or butter) and the extracts
- Add the icing sugar about 1 cup at a time, mixing well
- Add the strawberry puree, and beat the icing until it is fluffy
- If the icing is too thick, you can add some milk or cream a couple of teaspoons at a time until the desired consistency is reached
- Spread or pipe onto your favourite cupcake or cake