For the second year in a row, my fiance is growing a moustache as a part of the Movember movement. Movember occurs over the month of November, and men across the world grow moustaches and raise both funds and awareness for prostate cancer. Both "Mo Bros" and "Mo Sistas" get involved for this great cause.
If you would like more information about Movember, here is a link to their 'about' page. Please check it out!
In order to help him raise funds, I baked some cupcakes to send to his work so that people could make a donation and receive a cupcake as thanks!
My fiance picked Devil's Food Cupcakes (his favourite) and requested a caramel icing. Since I didn't have a recipe on hand for caramel icing, I decided to jump in and give it a shot. And you know what? It turned out delicious! I also topped the cupcakes with skor bits, awesome.
This recipe is enough to frost 36 cupcakes, so you may want to cut it down if you are making a standard batch of 12 or 24 cupcakes.
- 20 caramel squares (I used Kraft Caramels)
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 1/2 cups butter or margarine, room temperature
- 5 to 6 cups icing sugar (I used about 5 1/2 cups)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- extra milk or water if the icing is too thick
- Unwrap the caramel squares and place them in a microwave-safe bowl with the 2 tbsp of milk
- Microwave for 30 second intervals, mixing in between each interval, until smooth
- Place in the fridge or freezer to bring it to room temperature, stirring occasionally
- After the caramel has come to room temperature, beat it with the butter until well mixed
- Add the icing sugar one cup at a time, mixing well after each addition
- Add the vanilla and beat until light and fluffy
- If the icing is too thick, you can add a teaspoon of milk or water at a time until the desired consistency is reached (I added another 2 teaspoons of milk)
- Or, if the icing is too thin, you can add icing sugar 1/2 cup at a time until the desired consistency is reached